After my arrival five months ago, I quickly found that unless I wanted to spend a fortune on groceries every week buying food that's easily recognizable and Western like cheese, butter, meat, cereal, peanut butter, etc. (things that are not-so-coincidentally unhealthy), I had to adapt and start cooking food that's popular in Japan. That means venturing into the grocery store with an open mind and a good dose of patience. That's an interesting box of... green stuff. I wonder what it is...?
My grocery runs have become more of a guessing game than anything, so I've now begun researching recipes and writing down the Japanese kanji for the item to try to find in the store. It makes for long trips, scanning the isles for those two kanji written on the back of my hand, but I don't mind. This method has allowed me to learn some kanji and to leave the store confidently knowing that I indeed bought rice wine vinegar, or at least something similar with vinegar, not cooking sake.
Some foods I've been able to latch on quite fast because it's cheap and fairly healthy (and easily identifiable in the store). This would be true with curry. I'd compare Japan's fascination with curry to the State's fascination with Mexican food. Japan has taken curry and made it its own, found in the plethora of curry options in the isles of the supermarket, similar to the U.S.'s Taco Bells. Japan's curry is sweeter and milder than Indian or Thai curry, and definitely not as spicy. Despite this, I'm still able to find Thai and Indian spices for curry. My new obsession is to make a red Thai curry with Japanese vegetables like lotus root and Japanese sweet potatoes, which are much more affordable and accessible than some of the familiar vegetables like bell peppers or vegetables that are popular in true Thai/Indian curries like peas and lemongrass. When I say obsession, I mean obsession; curry has been my meal of choice for the past two days and there is still some waiting for me in the fridge for lunch and dinner.
| The makings for a Japanese-Thai curry: Japanese sweet potato, carrot, potatoes, onion, green beans, ginger, lotus root, coconut milk, sesame oil, and red curry paste |
| Homemade red curry, mango lassi (to cut the heat), and naan. Om nom nom. |
No comments:
Post a Comment