Pages

Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Coddling

As I mentally prepare myself for a trip to Malaysia and Thailand, I have brought myself to a sense of awareness in Japan I haven't reached before.

On my to-do list today is to buy a few locks so we can safely store our luggage at hostels.  Last night Tom and I estimated how to best pack our luggage so as to avoid any issues like pick pocketing.  I spent a good amount of time researching effective bargaining techniques to avoid getting cheated on taxi fares in Thailand.  Just thinking about bartering for a taxi fare makes me sweat.

Japan has coddled and cosseted me.  There is no bargaining when I enter a store or hop in a taxi.  Almost every person and situation I've encountered here has been "fair."  My cell phone has been left at 7-11s and promptly returned.  A friend's wallet has been forgotten on a train and returned safely.  The streets of Mantorville, my hometown in rural Minnesota, is probably more dangerous crime rate-wise, than the streets of my current residence in Tomakomai, Japan.

Cue my note of thanks.  Japan has let me relax in a foreign country for the first time in my life.  My first trip abroad was with an overprotective (but well-meaning) teacher in Spain, who convinced us (a bunch of high school students) that we were representing the United States as ambassadors and were required to be extremely aware of our surroundings at all times.  Bold "REQUIRED" and "ALL."  It was a great lesson learned, but I feel I am too guarded and introverted because of this.  I later studied abroad in South Africa, where I was advised to never go outside at night without at least one male in tow.  After a trip to Uganda this past year which came with lengthy lectures on safety, it is safe to say that I have trained myself to be uptight in foreign countries.  I cringe at the thought of going out for a beer for the fear of making myself seem obnoxious and/or culturally insensitive.  Take public transport?  Be careful!  To make it short: I'm not much fun (just ask Tom).  Or at least I wasn't before getting to Tomakomai.

Japan has offered me the chance to let my guard down a bit.  Tom will tell you otherwise, but I feel myself being a little more outgoing lately.  Karaoke with people I just met?  Sure!  Dinner at a mom & pop restaurant with owners that only speak Japanese?  You bet!  During my time in Thailand and Malaysia I'll need to stay extremely aware of my surroundings, keep an eye on my belongings, and barter more than I'd prefer.  That also comes with more forward, lively and colorful cultures, but I won't get into that now.  I'll use this opportunity to say thank you to Japan and appreciate the coddling before returning to Minnesota in June.

No comments:

Post a Comment