![]() |
| Tom and I with our wonderful hosts in Seoul |
The 24-hour news networks in the States need to discuss more than alarmist, generalized stories on radiation.
How about the conditions in the rest of Japan? Hokkaido, to my knowledge, is doing fine. Other than supermarkets being short on canned items because they've been shipped to shelters in Honshu, I haven't seen or felt any affects post-earthquake. Fox, MSNBC, and CNN can make all of Japan out to be a disaster zone, while in fact, people have been back to work for weeks. That's not to say that Japan is fine. Thousands of people need help, and will be getting help. As I mentioned, canned goods and some fresh food from supermarkets in Hokkaido have been shipped to affected areas. Same with the Tokyo area. Many people are helping in their own way, by persevering. Japan has been hit by disasters, man-made and natural, so many times in the past century that if they were unable to pick themselves up and return to work, the country would not exist today.
As for donations, aid organizations are going crazy over Japan. Japan is a developed country and has the resources to help its people, unlike Haiti, who experienced a horrible earthquake only three years ago. Education prior to donating is key here. There's a variety of websites out there dedicated to making a wise decision when deciding where to put your money. I've listed a few below that concern Japan:
Aid Watchers
Reuters
Stratosphere International
For now, Tom and I will keep updated with radiation levels, but our thoughts will stay with those in and around Fukushima and Miyagi prefectures. We hope Japan can do what it does best: focus on the community, pick itself up, and persevere.

No comments:
Post a Comment