Pages

Monday, March 14, 2011

The earthquake

It still amazes me how quick things can change.  One second I'm at my desk checking my email, and the next I'm running outside with my co-workers, watching as buildings around us shake and sway.  I remember feeling the onset of the quake, what I thought was going to be like others I've felt: minor and short.  I saw my computer monitor start to move.  We stopped working.  I looked to a co-worker and said "Jishin?"  She nodded and repeated "jishin" as it began to grow a little stronger.  Andrea grabbed her desk like she was ready to run out of the building, and soon the office started to make noise.  We ran out the door into the open courtyard that connects the university offices.

As the earthquake gained in strength, everyone turned their head in the same direction, to the largest building directly opposite the courtyard.  It began to sway and shake, making the most horrid of noises, rocking back and forth on its foundation.  I turned around, looking at all of the neighboring buildings, wondering if where we were was actually a safe place to be.  Some people had crouched down to support themselves, screaming at the violent shaking. I don't even remember feeling the earth; I was mesmerized by the haunting movement of the buildings. 

Within twenty seconds, it was all over.  Everyone immediately reached for their phones, pulling up news sources and calling family and friends.  We were told to stay outside, to wait until we had more information.  We knew there could be an aftershock that had the possibility of rivaling the power of the original quake, so Andrea and I stared blankly at each other and our surroundings for a while.  We could still feel the earth move underneath us.  Being the only two foreigners, a few people approached us asking if it was our first 'big one' and that it was the largest they've felt in years.  I don't think anyone would have guessed at that moment Japan had just experienced one of the biggest earthquakes in its recorded history and that a tsunami was on its way towards the shores of Japan, one so destructive that it would take thousands of lives and leave thousands more without homes.
Crack in the foundation at Bunkyo Gakuin University
I soon began to feel the need to get in contact with Tom.  I had no idea where the epicenter was, how big the earthquake was, and if it had reached Hokkaido.  After about thirty minutes of waiting, I asked a co-worker if I could run back inside to grab my cell phone.  People were going in and out, grabbing their coats and other personal items.  I was given the OK as our office is easily reached from the outside.  As soon as I reached for my phone on my desk, I heard the shelves in the office make noise and felt the ground beneath me shift.  I ran outside as the M 7+ aftershock rocked Tokyo.  I soon found out that trying to contact Tom via cell phone was futile as cell phone services were down. 

News anchors experiencing aftershocks
 The Bunkyo staff was moved to different location outdoors, and there we waited for another twenty minutes.  We watched lamps in the cafeteria swing as aftershocks rolled through.  I remember feeling like I was trying to keep my balance on a bus.  We caught pieces of information from office workers on mega phones: the subway lines are closed, it's still not safe to go indoors.  I tried multiple times to reach Tom, but had no luck.  Eventually we were able to turn on the TV to find out what was going on beyond the walls of Bunkyo Gakuin University.  We soon learned that we were so very, very lucky.  What we saw was devastating.  We watched from an aerial view the tsunami sweeping over Sendai, cars trying to escape, houses being washed away. By now, most of those who have access to TV and the internet have now seen footage of this tsunami.  My boss watched on in awe as her home prefecture was mutilated by the earthquake and tsunami.  Others tried to email their friends and family in the Sendai area.  I was able to get through to Tom to find out he was fine.  Soon news networks around the world were covering the earthquake in Japan.
Where the water used to be at a convenience store
Three days later, we are still feeling aftershocks (Japan has felt over 300 aftershocks in total since Friday).  They are enough alone to make me want to throw down two grand for a ticket home.  One minute you focus your attention on something other than the quake, and then with a jolt, you're reminded that you've successfully located yourself on the volatile Ring of Fire.  Japan has also implemented rolling blackouts, the first in history, to help ease the strain on power plants.  My day is spent on the computer, trying to keep myself updated. I have an irrational fear that I won't get some piece of imperative information and put myself in danger.  The stores are being drained of food, as shipments haven't come in since Friday. To say I'm stressing myself out would be an understatement.

After talking with friends in Japan, people are surprised at how fast the Japanese have transitioned back to daily life.  So far it's been difficult for me to transition from survival mode back to living-my-life mode.  It seems like my co-workers have been more successful at this transition.  I have no "lesson learned" final statement after this whole ordeal.  Life throws you curve balls, and I have no idea how to deal with this one quite yet other than just learning how to move on.

No comments:

Post a Comment