Pages

Friday, May 20, 2011

New Adventures, New Challenges

As one adventure is about to end I am ready to start preparing for a new one back in Minnesota.  This past year has been full of challenges, be it language barriers, new places, language barriers, new people, and well, language barriers.  I'll be returning to my home state in less than two weeks.  Yes, a new job awaits me at the University of Minnesota, which will be an adventure and challenge on its own, but I would love some personal challenges to tackle on the side.  That brings me to the following:

I have been extremely aware of my personal belongings the past few days as I've started to eye my closet with a discerning gaze... "Is all of this worth a $75 oversize baggage fee?"  I'll be getting rid of a few loyal, but rather tattered, pieces of clothing and needing a few "new" pieces for my new job back home.  That said, I don't have any money.  Like, none at all.  Juuuust enough to cover another month's worth of loan payments and maybe a sandwich or two on my 18-hour journey home.

My luggage allows me to smuggle a 12-year old child

My awareness and fear of a large amount of personal belongings combined with a lack of money have helped me create my goal for this next year.  And when I say year, I mean starting June 1st, 2011, the day I step a foot back on U.S. soil, through June 1st 2012.  For this next year, I will only purchase used clothing (sans bras, shoes, socks, and underwear).

I've already had a little taste of what Minneapolis has to offer in the realm of thrift shops, and I am thoroughly impressed.  In fact, the pieces of used clothing I own from Buffalo Exchange (and a garbage bag of old clothes my mom's co-worker didn't want anymore) are some of my favorite pieces.  I know I'll be in good hands in Minneapolis, especially with Uptown and its trendiness only a bike ride away.

So, to those of you who have that bag of old clothes sitting in your trunk with a 'Goodwill' label on it, sit back, think if there might be a piece or two I'd like, and send them my way.  Used clothing is even better when it's free!

No comments:

Post a Comment