Pages

Friday, September 2, 2011

2 months later...

I just finished reacquainting myself with my previous blogs, reminding myself that it's probably a good idea to continue blogging. I miss the thoughtful, self-reflective moments I created when writing up posts abroad. It might have been easier to think of topics in Japan as I faced cultural dissidence on a daily basis, but I have no excuse not to blog as I settle into my new life in Minnesota.  My life is still filled with adjustments and learning experiences.  Self reflection and education doesn't stop.  Ever.

I stepped onto Minnesotan soil after a year abroad in Japan on June 1st.  Yes, it's now August 31, so make that nearly three months later.  My last blog in Japan concerned my commitment to purchasing only secondhand clothing from June 1, 2011 to June 1, 2012, so I thought I would provide a little update.

To be perfectly honest, I broke the rule. Once. There was an event that required the proper apparel, and seeing as it was a last-minute event, I bought a black dress. I did, however, stop at a number of consignment shops on the way to the store I purchased the dress.  Other than the dress, things have been going pleasantly well.  I'm currently wearing a top and belt I recently purchased at Everyday People on Hennepin in Minneapolis, each for $5.  It's a great little consignment shop.  I would also recommend Buffalo Exchange on Lyndale and Everyday People's second location off Snelling in St. Paul.

I'll continue to work on my secondhand clothing commitment and, more importantly, my blogging commitment.  Tom's mentor in college, Father Renee, continues to urge Tom to both read and write every day.  I have to say that Tom is much better at this than I am, but maybe now that he's around (back from Japan, too), he might rub off on me.

As I go along working, blogging, and buying used clothing, I will continue to reacquaint myself with the state I love.  This weekend will be adventure-packed as Tom and I head north to the Boundary Waters Canoe Area Wilderness for a long weekend of canoeing and camping.  It's been a while since I've paid my respects to the beautiful north country; I'm practically giddy with excitement.  By next week I should have another post up with trip details and lots of photos (I apologize for the lack thereof in this post).  Until then, sayonara!



1 comment:

  1. Well I know it's been a long while since you have blogged, but I love traveling too. Mostly for vacations, but that's really neat you stayed in Japan for a full year! Wow! :)

    ReplyDelete